St. John's Church: The Parish Register, Historical Events [p.430]

 

TitleSt. John's Church: The Parish Register, Historical Events [p.430]
ItemSt. John's Church: The Parish Register, Historical Events [p.430]
NamesThe Reverend Harvey V. Kohlenberg was extended a call on January 23, 1938. He began his work on March 1, 1938. Having served the congregation for eleven months, Pastor Kohlenberg resigned on February 1, 1937. He went to St. Petersburg, Florida to become pastor of Trinity Lutheran Church. On March 12, 1939 the Reverend Otto H. Friedmann from Evansville, Indiana visited the congregation for a trial sermon. The theme,” Jesus emphasizes the Better Part” based upon verse 42 of the 10th the Gospel according to Saint Luke, was the subject of the sermon. On March 22, 1939 a letter from the president of Synod informed the Reverend Otto H. Friedmann that the congregation had issued him a call on March 19, 1939. The pastor arrived on the field on April 23rd and was installed by the president of Synod on April 30th, 1939. A rented apartment at 1535 South Webster street served as parsonage till December 15th 1946. The record shows that at the end of 1938 the congregation had 159 baptized members; 117 confirmed members and 100 communing members. The indebtness against the congregation was $15,000.00. The A. J. Wichmann & Company, Inc., investors of Indianapolis, carried a first mortgage of $11,000.00 at 5 percent interest, the Department of Church Extension of the Board of American Missions carried a second mortgage of $2,500.00; a personal loan to the members of the church council by the Union Bank & Trust Company for $1,800.00 at 6 percent was outstanding. An assetment [sic] for street improvement was also charged against the congregation. After paying off the bank loan and clearing up all local debts all efforts were put forth to paying off the first mortgage. In the general interest of the congregation several new undertakings were proposed by the pastor. An early Christmas Candle-light service was introduced. It meet [sic] with hearty approval. A public examination for members of the catechical class prior to confirmation was conducted. An annual father-son banquet in the fall of the year is a successful occasion for fellowship. Many of the church’s outstanding leaders have offered as speakers. In 1948 the Brotherhood secured the honorable Henry F. Schricker, governor of Indiana for the speaker. The Women’s Missionary has been holding a mother-daughter banquet in the Spring of the year. On October 29th, 1941 the initial payment of $500.00 was made on the first mortgage. In 1942 a second bond of $500.00 was redeemed: also a payment of $50.00 was made to the Board of American Missions on the second mortgage. In 1943 three $500.00 bonds were called in. A payment of 125.00 was made to the Board of American Missions. In 1944 four bonds of $500.00 each were redeemed and 126.25 paid to the American Board. Up to this date the congregation had paid $6,602.25 on the morgages and $4,469.26 in interest. Among the outstanding accomplishments of the congregation during the war was the over paying of Lutheran World Action quotas. It was given recognition as being the first congregation of the National Lutheran Council over-subscribing its goal in the Ten Million dollar appeal. [Taped on bottom of page] FIRST ACROSS THE LINE 1948 Word has been received from Pastor Otto Freidmann of Kokomo, Indiana, “Since the beginning of September, without benefit of literature, envelopes or other product material, his workers convassed the house of St. John’s Church and over-subscribed the full amount of their charge toward the ten million dollar goals!”
Identifier45309
Date Original 
Date Digital2006-01-25
Subject(s)Church Records
CreatorSt. John's Lutheran Church
SourceGenealogical Society of Utah
Publisher 
LanguageEnglish
ContributorsKokomo-Howard County Public Library [KHCPL]
RelationScanned from the original document at KHCPL by GSU
TranscriptionNONE
CollectionChurch: St. John's
Usage StatementInformation in this record is provided for personal research purposes only and may not be reproduced for publication. If you have questions about copyright issues, please contact Digital Images @ Intellectual Reserve Inc.