St. John's Church: The Parish Register, Historical Events [p.428]

 

TitleSt. John's Church: The Parish Register, Historical Events [p.428]
ItemSt. John's Church: The Parish Register, Historical Events [p.428]
Names In 1931 a group of Lutheran people without a church home in Kokomo petitioned the Michigan Synod of the United Lutheran Church for organization of a congregation in Kokomo. The congregation was organized on January 3, 1932 and incorporated on February 22, 1932 under [the] name of St. John’s Lutheran Church with a charter membership of 50. Seminary students supplied the pulpit of St. John’s from time of organization until August 1933 when Rev. Walter D. Oberholtzer was called as the first regular called pastor. He remained on the field until May 28, 1934 when he resigned his charge. Rev. Ernest E. Habig accepted a call to the church July 1, 1934. All meetings and services of the congregation were held on the second floor of the Y. M. C. A. Building in an improvised chapel until the church edifice was completed in 1937. At the congregational meeting in January 1935 it was decided to devote the entire Lenten offering to a Building Fund Program. Some $250.00 was raised in that season. A church site was located and after the Indiana Mission Board and the Board of American Missions had given their approval, two lots on the corner of Mulberry Street and Indiana Avenue were contracted for the sum of $3,500.00. On Thanksgiving Day of 1935 a Christian Consecration Program under the leadership of Rev. John E. Hermmon, D. D. was begun, the goal of the financial part of the program was $8,000.00. About $7,000.00 was raised in pledges to be paid over a period of 50 months. Ground Breaking Service was held on October 4, 1936 after the morning service. On November 29, 1936 the Corner Stone was laid, with special service in the afternoon. Rev. P. D. Wheadon of Logansport was the main speaker. Church edifice was dedicated on Palm Sunday, March 21, 1937 with 3 special services on Sunday and a basket dinner at noon. The dedication program continued throughout the week. Rev. Habig presented his resignation to the Council on November 27, 1937 and to the congregation on November 28th to become effective on December 31, 1937. He resigned to accept a call to Trinity Church, Boulder, Colorado.
Identifier45307
Date Original 
Date Digital2006-01-25
Subject(s)Church Records
CreatorSt. John's Lutheran Church
SourceGenealogical Society of Utah
Publisher 
LanguageEnglish
ContributorsKokomo-Howard County Public Library [KHCPL]
RelationScanned from the original document at KHCPL by GSU
TranscriptionNONE
CollectionChurch: St. John's
Usage StatementInformation in this record is provided for personal research purposes only and may not be reproduced for publication. If you have questions about copyright issues, please contact Digital Images @ Intellectual Reserve Inc.