August News and Updates
For the past few days it has felt more like fall than the dog days of summer....so you'll excuse me if I feel that I've missed out on my summer vacation! Good thing it is ALWAYS a bit cool down here in Genealogy, so my sweaters are a regular part of the uniform dress even in the summer! School begins in a matter of days, and in honor of that fact, how about some August trivia to get your brain back in gear for school, genealogical research, or just for fun?
- "I'm as corny as _____ in August" is a line from a song in what Rodger's and Hammerstein song? Oh, and fill in the blank, too!
- Who was August named after?
- What was the ORIGINAL name for August?
- Several presidents have birthdays in August....name one.
- What famous race is held locally in the month of August?
Here's what's new on the HCMP:
- The Kokomo Sargasso yearbooks have been converted through 1961! Thank you, Mary!
- All remaining yearbooks in our collection HAVE BEEN SCANNED...and we can now begin entering them into our collection.
- The Norman Bridwell, Naturalization and part of the Carl Leiter Local History collections have been converted to the new software. Unfortunately, we are having technical issues with publishing them to their home page. For now, you can click on the links above to go through the "back door" and check them out! These are a work in progress!
Answers: (from the historyplace.com and funtrivia.com) 1. Kansas (Wonderful Guy from South Pacific) 2. Caesar Augustus, 3. Sextilis, meaning 6th, because it is the 6th month in the roman calendar; 4. B. Harrison; H. Hoover; LBJ; B. Clinton; B. Obama; 5. Brickyard 400
~The Howard County Memory Project website was established in 2002 and focused on local high school yearbooks. Within this site today, you will find multiple databases and digitized items especially for genealogy and local history researchers. We continue to add items of interest and we hope you will check back often as this site continues to grow.